Wednesday, November 19, 2008

No body likes good fiction anymore.

"The ink is black
the page is white
together we learn
to read and write"
as performed by Three Dog Night


For as long as I can remember, I have escaped the world around me in with a book. I started to say 'good book', but in all honestly, I have been without good books and just picked up whatever was laying around.



OMG! Just THIS second as I was typing... A shiny New Book was delivered to my patiently waiting hands! It seemed like it took forever to arrive, but its here now. I shit you not, JUST NOW as I was gearing up for a blog about reading. Oh crap, that means I have to hurry and finish the current dribble I had to resort to in the meantime. This is all coming together very nicely. Who says that you can't just KNOW when you are exactly where you are supposed to be in life? No, really, that is a question. I expect you to give me an answer. Down there .
.
. in comments
.
.don't be shy

>>> new book....."Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer (don't hate. I love getting getting back to my roots with a little teenage drama...only in books though, don't bring real teenage drama into my life)

>>> current book....."Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons" by Lorna Landvick ( i read this one many years ago and i was desperate a few days ago waiting on 'new book'. it was on the nearby book shelf and now i must finish it. its really not dribble or is it drivel? but i tend to go for something that enlightens me with a little less reality)



Ok, back to my origin of thinking.

I will be the first to tell, you my memory sucks. I used to think it was alright, but time has always been the author of the unthinkable. There was a framed poem hanging in the bathroom (yes, the bathroom. that is where some of the best reading gets done, am i wrong?) of my childhood home that I memorized at an early age. I knew it then, but I will copy and paste now as a necessity of my ever shrinking brain power.


Don't Quit

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest! if you must; but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As everyone of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up, though the pace seems slow;
You might succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup.
And he learned too late, when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out;
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt;
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit;
It's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit.
-anonymous

If you are still here, congratulations! You may be one of the last "reading" folk around. I do know the difference between reading because you are obligated and reading for enjoyment. I obviously prefer the latter as I am certain many of you do. I can tell you though, that if it weren't for my reading mind set I never would have memorized that poem. When I new it back and forth and up and down I switched to whatever was handy. In my house this meant shampoo bottles and tooth paste tubes. Not many readers there. I am very familiar with words like "Methylchloroisothiazolinone", "Cocamidopropyl Betaine", and "Sodium monofluorophosphate." I am convinced I can pronounce them properly as well.

When I am unable to read I listen to audio books. The iPod is a great invention. Right now I am about a quarter of the way into "Strangers" by Dean Koontz. It is approximately twenty five hours long and let me advise you to just read the actual book because the narrator is complete tool. But I won't quit.

The summer of my sixth grade year I read over a hundred books. "Sweet Valley High", "The Babysitters Club", (i like series books because the story keeps going and going...) and every thing by Judy Blume for the most part. I walked the three blocks to the library all by my lonesome, uphill and in the snow, carrying hundreds of pounds of books at least twice a week. Did I mention I read really fast? Now that I am older, Steven King is my favorite. Give me some of your suggestions on what I should look for. Whats on your bookshelf?




And now for your joy and amusement..... ta da! I figured out how to add images.


fail owned pwned pictures
see more pwn and owned pictures


I know I am guilty of this one, but I'm on a Mac. I type these on Blogger.com and when I click the little i for italic all it does is this -


WTF? What am I supposed to do with that? and how do you do that thing where there is a line through the word?

No comments: